HONOLULU — Hawaii Gov. Josh Green on Friday said that the number of people who remain missing following the wildfires in the state has dropped to 66.
The number dropped significantly from a week ago, when authorities said 385 people were still unaccounted for, according to The Associated Press.
“Today marks one month since deadly fires devastated Lahaina and other areas of Maui,” Green said Friday in an address, according to HNN. “And since then we have been working constantly to shelter survivors, deliver supplies and medical care, and locate the missing and reunite them with their families.
The deadliest wildfire in the United States in more than a century swept through Lahaina on Aug. 8, according to the AP. It caused an estimated $5.5 billion in damage.
Green confirmed that at least 115 people have been confirmed dead and over 2,200 structures were destroyed in Lahaina, HNN reported. Green updated the number of missing at 66.
The Maui Police Department has released the names of 55 people who died in the fires, according to the AP. Twenty-two were in their 70s, while 13 of the victims were in their 60s. One of the victims was under 10 years old.
Green said that over the next few weeks officials will start to schedule supervised visits with residents to go back to their houses, the AP reported.
He also discussed that the state is working to develop long-term housing solutions for residents, HNN reported.